Saturday, August 7, 2010

grilled veggies and pasta!

Not my normal blog style, but after working all day (and I mean ALL day) outdoors in the garden/yard, I just couldn't bear to eat a heavy dinner.  So, looking at all my yummy veggies, I decided to get a little creative in the kitchen.  I browsed a few of my seasonal food cookbooks for ideas, then put them away and got to work.
First, I took my patty pan squash and sliced it into nice wide pieces, then came the zucchini and eggplant.  I grilled those on my stovetop grill pan with just a little olive oil.  Then, I took all my onion thinnings from this morning, which were actually about golf ball size and so sweet, and tossed them with garlic, olive oil, and a green pepper from the farm (diced).  After all that was done, I layered the grilled veggies in a baking dish, topped them with the peppers, onions, and garlic, and sprinkled a few herbs on top.  I covered all that with a couple of thinly sliced heirloom tomatoes (green zebra and a striped red).  Then, an 8 ounce ball of mozzarella on top, which I grated. Popped that into the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes.
In the meantime, I cooked up half a box of linguini (we use dreamfields since Jeremy is diabetic, but I'd love to use a local pasta here).  In a small saucepan, I heated up a little flour and butter and then added some whole organic milk.  After it was nice and thick, I tossed in just a handful of fresh grated Parm.  Mmmmmmmmm!  I love to grate a little fresh nutmeg in, too, so I added that as the milk was simmering.
When the pasta was done, I drained it and tossed it with the bechamel sauce.  Each bowl got a spoonful of pasta and then topped with a heaping of the grilled/roasted veggies.
I was worried that it might not fill us up enough, but WOW it was good AND filling!
Of course, we saved room for dessert!  I tossed diced fresh peaches with blueberries and stirred in a spoonful of maple syrup.  Then, topped it all with a sprinkling of brown sugar, flour, and real butter blended into crumbles.  Popped that into the oven for just about 30 minutes.  Top that with some vanilla ice cream and you've got dessert!
Sometimes the best meals are the ones that are designed on the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment