Friday, January 8, 2010

Foodshed Local Food Buying Club

I am really thankful that today was my first local food pickup day from the newly organized foodshed buying club, as it was a rotten day otherwise.  And, for those in the Northeast with me, you know why it would have been a terrible day to drive around in the blowing snow to several farms to pick up food.  I would have just gone to the grocery store like most everyone else.  But, the wonderful people who organized the foodshed buying club  did all the legwork for me.  It was super easy...I can't think of any possible way it could have been easier, in fact.  
Orders can be place online, anytime of the week, and orders placed by Sunday night at midnight will be ready the following Friday afternoon.  I chose a small sample of items from different farmers...local cheese (one cheddar and one feta), yogurt, fresh eggs, and some ground and stew beef.  I had ordered a quart of raw whole milk, but the demand was more than the farm had anticipated (yay local shoppers!) and I was one of the last people to place an order...so goes the biggest drawback of shopping locally.  You get what is available and you don't get what isn't.
I am very excited about our pickup, and the farm who ran out of milk gave me a special tub of orange flavored yogurt to try for free!  The site we picked up from was large and well organized and we were able to meet some of the farmers who are involved in the organization.  Everyone was more than friendly and made an effort to get to know us.  Kira said it the best after we left: "mom, do we really have to go to the grocery store now?  It's so boring compared to the farm and that shed with the food!"  Buying locally is worth it just for the education I am giving my children, but the food...SO delicious.
I'd say, as far as the financial risk, a $15 annual fee for this is better than great!  What a bargain!  And, as far as the risk of getting what I've ordered?  I just treat it like I do the farmer's market in the summer...wait and go to the grocery store after to pick up anything that might be missing or just readjust meal plans for the week!  It's always an adventure!  And who can beat the value of someone else doing the driving and the sorting for you?  I did bring my own bag to bring home the produce, but everything was nicely sorted and in boxes in the walk in cooler before we got there!
My only problem with the whole process is...what to order next week!?!
Visit the site!  Join in the club!
http://www.foodshedbuyingclub.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment