Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Local food...and losing weight?

This past summer, I noticed that as I ate more food out of my garden and from the local farmer's market, I began to lose weight.  Naturally.  Without effort.  Of course, I suppose this is to be expected when you eat less meat and more veggies.  The kind of veggies and fruit that are filled with fiber and water.  Yummy!

Of course, with my research on eating seasonally, I have found that most of the seasonal winter foods are traditionally meant to "fatten us up" for winter.  Vegetables are more starchy and more meat is usually consumed.  Cheeses with longer storage possibilities are eaten.  The fat brings us better insulation for winter.

So, what now?  Tonight, I weigh in for a weight loss competition that my friends and I are starting...my motivation for joining comes in three parts.  (1)  I don't fit into my clothes anymore!  A problem, since I'm broke and don't want to buy new ones!  (2)  I don't feel healthy.  I used to be in great shape when I lifted weights daily and was a speed walker (often topping 4.7 mph just walking!).  Now, I just feel sluggish and tired.  (3)  I want my children to learn healthy habits, meaning I need to get out there and be a good role model.

I suppose this will only be a small bump in the road for my eating habits.  I don't see a lot of overweight people who say they live locally and seasonally.  It's just finding the right balance for me.  So, I'll continue to blog here for those who are following my simplify your life blog.  But, I'll also be weighing in with a new blog on my journey to regain my healthy spirit...and don't be surprised if you see a lot of crossover!

1 comment:

  1. Michael Pollen's new book addresses this somewhat. His Food Rules include advice that says to only eat real food, not chemicals that have been shaped to look like food. At this time of year, I think we all start to lose that "healthy spirit" - you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete