Sunday, February 28, 2010

Purchasing Power

I am a marketer's dream.  Everytime I see the words "limited edition" I go nuts.  When I know something is only available seasonally, I snatch it up by the cartfull.  And I am drawn to the well designed displays, created especially to lure customers in to the "deal of the day."  Even when I know these are all tricks of the trade, I am still caught up the moment.
Not only that, but I have always loved to have the "one-and-onlys" and to have the items everyone will soon be vying for...before they have them.  I was thrilled with my Petuniua Picklebottom diaper bag and could never replace my most talked about Gina Alexander photo bag.  I love to know the trends in food and I love to dress my kids in the style of the season (complete with matching bows, socks, and the like...).
But, embarking on a more simple lifestyle requires some organization of thought.  I am trying to take a step back before I throw purchases in my cart without a second thought.  After all, my attic is already full of items that we never use and never really needed (garage sale, anyone?!?).  I just wish it was easier to flip the switch.  I still can't go to a store without browsing the magazine rack.  I have dozens of catalogs delivered to my home, and although I rarely order from them, if gives me lots of ideas for future purchases.  I can't wait for the latest and greatest to arrive and often pre-order books and movies that I really want.  And the power of i-tunes and amazon to deliver music and books to my phone in seconds amazes me.
So, how should I plan to reduce my spending?  I've known I needed to reduce the amount of stuff coming into my home for a long time, but the draw of shopping has won over my need to clear out the clutter.  Some books I've read suggest a one-in, one-out system...anytime you buy something new, something must go.  But, we are already doing a clean sweep of the house, so for my weak brain it just gives me a license to buy more!  Some people, who don't "get" the addiction of shopping just tell me to make a clean break...NO more shopping.  Um, that's like handing an alcoholic a beer and telling him not to drink it.  In order to feed my family, I WILL be at those stores and I WILL be passing those tempting displays.
So, as a new approach, I decided to come up with something that might at least get me thinking about my purchases more.  At least focus the things I am buying into a more simplified list.  So, here it is...my goal for the next few seasons.  I will try NOT to buy anything that I can make, borrow, or grow.  So, if I am admiring a new outfit for one of my girls, I have to decide if it is something I could (at my beginner skill level) sew.  If the answer is yes, then I can either buy fabric and a pattern and sew it myself...or leave the outfit and the thought behind.  If I want a new plant for the garden, it has to be something I can grow from seed.  A new scarf?  Get out the knitting needles.  Curtains for the living room?  A steamy cup of mocha latte?  A loaf of gourmet bread?  Yup, I can make all of those at home.
Will this work?  Nothing is guaranteed...but I really love the joy of watching my own creations come to life MUCH more than the short, and disappointing thrill of a good purchase.  Can I stick to my guns?  Probably not all the time.  But, it's a start.  And I may be so immersed in worthwhile projects that I don't have time to shop anymore anyway!
The exceptions to the rule (of course, there have to be a few!) are those items that I need to initiate and complete the projects.  A craft magazine, a pattern for a new dress, a skein of fabulous yarn...all ok if I have a plan for their immediate use.  And of course, those things I can't create on my own...I am a book lover, but not a writer (besides, where is the adventure in reading your own novel?), so I will afford myself a few books to read just for fun.  And things like those rubber boots I need to be able to garden in the muddy "not-spring" season here in upstate NY.  I just don't know how to mold rubber boots yet!
So, starting today (thankfully, both girls already have Easter dresses ready to go!), only buying those things that can't be sewn, baked, planted, or knit by my own hands.  Stay tuned to hear about my successes (and probably a few failures, too!)...
Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment