Saturday, February 27, 2010

What's on Our Table in late February?

I've had a lot of requests from people lately to include the recipes of the foods I am eating.  Since I don't have the time to type out recipes for everything we eat, I thought I'd just include a daily (or whenever I think about it!) idea of what's going on in our kitchen.  If there are specifics you want recipes for, let me know and I'll publish them or point you to where I got the idea!
So, what's on our table in  late February?  Like Barbara Kingsolver writes in her book, it is really difficult to start a local food project in the dead of winter.  When I came to this idea, the time for planning ahead was already past.  So, we are making the best of what we can find from local sources, supplemented for the time being with the most natural foods we can.
Right now, my house smells delicious!  I have a beef pot roast, flavored with cumin seen and one chipotle pepper with locally grown and stored carrots, potatoes and onions simmering on the stove.  I also have a loaf of honey bread rising and hopefully ready to bake before dinner.  This morning, I simmered my newly found favorite dish...steel cut oats with milk, real maple syrup, and dried cherries.  Even I, queen of granola, never thought I'd like steel cut oats, but they are so rich and creamy and taste and look NOTHING like regular oatmeal.  I have dreamed about this cereal now that I know what it tastes like!  Of course, our refrigerator is stocked with goodies like local apple cider and apples from our nearby orchards.  We DID splurge this winter on a few fresh winter fruits, none of which grow in upstate NY, but are seasonally fresh and shipped right to our door the day they are picked.  These included fresh pears and honeybells.  Mmmmmmm!  For quick snacks, we eat maple roasted peanuts, slices of cheese from local dairys, and cream on top yogurt mixed with locally grown and frozen berries and a sprinkle of granola from the nearby Rosemont Inn. 
Stay tuned for more mouthwatering food ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment