Saturday, September 12, 2009

Homemade Bread

I tried not to let my headache leave me totally disabled today.  Although I had to rest most of the day, I managed to read up on a couple more books to fuel my fire and add to my recipe ideas.  Thank goodness my bed is right in front of a very large glass door that allowed me to rest and read while still supervising the girls playing in the backyard on this slightly drizzly, but still wonderful fall day.

I attempted my first "sandwich bread" today.  I have a lot of experience baking bread...in fact, my parmesan bread is one of my most requested food items.  But, I've never made a dense bread capable of holding fabulous ir simple fillings.  So, I grabbed the big bag of King Arthur white wheat flour I had been saving and after much kneading, waiting and then baking...voila!  The aroma of fresh baked bread is filling my house and the yummy bread is filling our bellies.  I don't know if the bread will make it to the fresh tomato, pesto, and mozzarella sandwiches I plan to make tomorrow...we've all had at least 2 slices slathered with sweet cream butter already!  I used a recipe from Ina Garten, who said the recipe is great because it makes two loaves...one to eat and one to freeze.  Hmmmmmmmm...I don't think I need to clear out any space in the freezer just yet.

I managed to pull together another local feast for dinner tonight.  Grilled lemon and chive chicken (free range chicken cutlets), carrots and patty pan squash (from our CSA box), braised greens (CSA), and for dessert...maple poached pears (from a local orchard and maple syrup made here in NY!).  everyone cleaned their plates again! 

Next up...a review of my research into seasonal produce!

1 comment:

  1. Homemade bread is one of the greatest pleasures of life. There is absolutely nothing like it. I will look for the Ina Garten recipe you recommended - I'm always up for a new recipe. Not like there aren't already thousands in my kitchen screaming to be tried.

    ReplyDelete