Monday, September 14, 2009

Me? Serve Kraft Macaroni and Cheese?

Yes, I made macaroni and cheese for Alayna's lunch today.  And Kira had a plain old grilled cheese pocket for her lunch.  I DID make homemade BLTs for the grownups...mine with all organics, but Jeremy's was with plain old bread and romaine from the grocery store.  The bacon was all natural and the tomatoes were homegrown, of course.  So, to answer any questions you might have had.  NO, I do not plan to convert us fully to organic.  I mean, I do have to be a little realistic here.  My family needs to be eased into this.  We ate at (gasp!) McDonalds AND Wendy's in the past two weeks and I just treated the girls to Zebb's after a very long day of preschool and dance class.  Although, I was happy to see that Zebb's grinds their beef and cuts their fries by hand.  Who knew?

So, don't think I'm writing these blogs to try and pretend I've made the full switch to a better way of eating.  I'm human just like the rest of you and am going to indulge in my favorites every now and then.  And YES, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is one of them.  Starbucks coffee is another (although I have managed to switch from artificially sweetened creamers back to organic half/half and sugar).  And I have already bought the holiday PEEPS that my kids love to float in their hot chocolate on chilly afternoons.  I mean, would YOU buy an organic PEEP?  Let's be real here.

But, I am going to keep sharing my new finds with those who want them, because I have found so many out there who are finding this interesting.  I figure, if I'm putting lots of time into this, I want as many people as possible to benefit.  And it you don't want to make the switch, then so be it...if I come over to your house for lunch and you're serving tyson chicken nuggets and ore ida fries, I'll probably eat some!

It's been a bust day, so no great news to report, but here are a couple of tidbits for those interested in searching for some ideas...Hannafords and Price chopper here in upstate NY both have FREE copies of a monthly organic magazine.  Usually a lot of it is advertisement for brands of organic food, but there is sometimes some worthwhile info in with it.  Also, for anyone in an area that has it...PLEASE consider supporting local farmers by purchasing into a Community Supported Agriculture program (CSA).  More info on this later...but you can check www.localharvest.org for info on CSAs in your area!

No comments:

Post a Comment