Sunday, September 13, 2009

Simple Food? Clean Food? Back to Basics?

I am going to attempt a review of three books I have recently read in trying to research what TO eat.  (I will save the documentaries on what NOT to eat for a later date.)  Not the most lively of my blogs, but great for those of you trying to follow my research!

First, The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters (notes, lessons, and recipes from a delicious revolution)...and she has this to say about the food we eat:

1. Eat locally and sustainably
2. Eat seasonally
3. Shop at farmer's markets
4. Plant a garden
5. Conserve, compost, and recycle
6. Cook together
7. Eat together
8. Remember food is precious

Perfectly said, and I'll hit on each of these topics as the blogging goes on.  This book was a wonderful introduction to HOW to cook with many of the locally found sustainable foods.  Interestingly, she takes a recipe and then provides variations for changing the plan according to what is in season at the time.  She also explains "why" certain recipe instructions are there, and in some cases, what would happen if they weren't.  And for a cook who really likes to know the science behind the results, this is an unexpected joy!  The basics are there (such as "how to cook a pot of dried beans") but there are also recipes for fabulous dishes.  Although the foods she cooks are still a little too "earthy" for what I'm aiming at, she includes recipes with meat, dairy, vegetables, fruits, and grains.  There is something for everyone and I'll likely be using this as a resource for how to cook the basics...

Then there is Clean Food by Terry Walters.  Described as "a seasonal guide to eating close to the source" the book is just that.  Each section is devoted to spring, summer, fall, or winter and has specific recipes for the foods that are most likely to be found at that time of year.  The only downfall for me is that I am NOT a vegan and have NO desire to be a vegan, but the author obviously is.  For me, it defeats the purpose of "eating locally" if you have to find sea vegetables or specialty items at asian markets.   I have also always been a little confused by those who think that a processed soy burger is healthier than real meat.  Simple, clean food, in my opinion is NOT one food processed and dressed up to imitate another.  I like meat, eggs, and dairy and do not feel the need to substitute rice milk, tempura, and soy cheese for the real deal.  So, while her recipe collection is helping me to sort out which foods to seek at which time of year, I will be left to my own to figure out how I really want to cook them.  Still, I got this book for less than $15 and it is a nice, hardback book with easy to find sections...

And finally, not meant to be a part of this research, but is proving itself to be quite valuable, is Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics cookbook.  Fabulous flavor from simple ingredients is just what this book provides.  She discusses in the introduction to her book the process of cooking seasonally, and how to "cook for flavor."  The recipes and stories here highlight the importance of bringing out the flavor of each food, making it taste "exactly how it wants to be."  She talks about starting with quality ingredients, adding ingredients that compliment the flavor, and finding the process that brings out this flavor the best.  I've already made several of the recipes in the book and this is the one that I will be returning to the library only after I have purchased my own copy.

So, we have one book that highlights the seasons, one book that goes over the basic cooking techniques, and the final book that provides us with superb recipes to bring it all together.  I must say, I am enjoying this part of my research!

By the way...want to know what we ate tonight?  Tomato, mozzarella and pesto panini with homemade walnut pesto on homemade bread.  (Tomato and basil from my garden, and cheeses locally made!)  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment