Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spring Rains Bring...

What's growing in my upstate NY garden right now?  My pea shoots have really taken off and I had to install the trellis earlier this week!  I have lots of lettuce and salad greens showing up...I'd say another 10 days and I'll have fresh baby spring greens!  Yum!  None of my new carrot or onion seeds are sprouting, but I have overwintered carrots galore...and I just planted a 20 foot row of onion plants given to me by a gardener at our church!  Yay!  My cherry belle radishes sprouted a nice green row overnight last night.  I love these picked when the size of a marble and tossed in my salad...sweet and crunchy and not bitter at all!  I planted some hanging baskets with Tom Thumb peas, but not sure if they get enough sun...this is new for me this year.

What's new in the seedlings?  All my peppers and tomatoes are growing well.  I did half my peppers in a standard organic seedling mix and half in peat moss free mix.  The ones in the peat moss free mix are twice as big and I planted them a week later!  I'll be transfering half of them tonight to make room in my seed starters for broccoli and cauliflower seeds.  Tough love time for most tomatoes and peppers, too.  I plant 4 seeds to a cell and only the one strongest gets to remain.  The others are snipped to keep the main one healthier.  My eggplants seem to be 50-50.  Although last year my survival rate was worse.  They just seem to be a challenge to grow.  I can give them plenty of heat or plenty of light, but not enough of both at the same time.  More research may be needed.
Otherwise, I am busy splitting seed packets for other gardening friends.  In order to keep supplying my indecisive nature, I split seed packets with others to keep my cost down while trying all sorts of new things.  If you are interested in buying any starter seeds from me, let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment