Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Breakfast of Champions

I have to admit that I was really excited about the locavore food challenge because I wanted to learn more about what other locavores eat.  I was hoping to see variety and creative cooking.  I was hoping for ideas that would appeal to my whole family!  However, what I have been seeing is that a lot of people who eat local foods tend to eat the same things over and over again.  Well, I am here to tell you that while I eat a primarily local diet, I enjoy a HUGE variety of foods.  My CSA box really helps with this, as I don't  know what I am getting week to week and get to try many new vegetables.  Nancy is great at adding tips for cooking, too.  In addition, I grow a lot of heirloom varieties that can't be found in typical garden stores.  Top that with local farmers markets and I've got vegetables galore.  With that said, I am most definately not a vegetarian!  All my meat comes from local farmers, with the exception of the seafood I get from Maine.  And I also do not shun bread.  I LOVE my bread.  I bake fresh bread with flour from Cayuga Organics.  I also can't get enough of the pancakes I've made recently with the same all purpose unbleached flour.  YUM!  We fill them up with blueberries grown locally and frozen in my downstairs freezer the same day we picked them.  Add some local Grade B Maple syrup and you've got one fabulous breakfast!  I often fry up a little local bacon on the side.
A big request from my girls is breakfast for dinner.  Add the above with some homemade hash browns (garden fresh heirloom colored potatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic and mix in a little homemade salsa for kicks.  Delish!
So, don't stick to the same old yogurt and fruit for breakfast...venture out and see what the local foods have to offer up and get creative!

Recipe: Originally passed down to me from one of my Lamaze students/labor patients and refined over the past decade to this:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I use local flour from Cayuga Organics in Ithaca when I can!)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp melted butter
2 Tbsp real maple syrup

Mix the dry ingredients together, then add the wet ingredients.  Stir until combined.  Pour onto hot griddle greased lightly with additional butter.  Add fresh or frozen blueberries by sprinkling onto the tops of the cooking pancakes before you flip them.  Serve with real butter and real maple syrup.  A real treat!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment