Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The garden has growth!


After enjoying more than one walk on this sunny early spring day, I headed up to the gardens to check out any activity.  Of course, I wasn't expecting much...but what I found was small but exciting!  My overwintered carrots, including dragon and amarillo are beginning their spring growth again.  And the north pole and arctic blend lettuce were still tiny but edible under the layer of leaves I had used to mulch them.  I also have growth of winter bunching white onions, although my purplette are not showing any growth yet.  I also see a few chives poking out from under the old growth in the pots I used for them last year.  The soil is still too cold for planting, but the layer of compost and leaves is almost ready to be dug into the top layer of soil...and I already have plans to dig out more space near where our neighbors took down a big shade tree last fall.  And to extend the season on this front end, I have a large number of plastic cartons to turn into cloches.  I have my work cut out for me, but it's thrilling and fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment