Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The first seedlings arrive!

Progress is always exciting...especially in Spring.  I planted our eggplant seeds last Monday, and the first seedlings are just starting to poke through the surface of our carefully designed cells.  The winner this year is the dusky hybrid, emerging a full day before the lone "long purple" in the far back cell on the right.  Can you see how the sprouts are leaning far to the left in search of the minimal light coming through the window of our laundry room on this dreary March day?  I've found the warmest spot in our house this week to be the top of the clothes dryer, which seems to be running near constantly.  Sigh.  At least the need for my seedlings to be warm has kept our laundry in check.
We also planted two cell flats of peppers at the end of the week.  One hot and one sweet.  My friend Kylie requested some unusual colors, so I am trying to grow two of each variety.  For some reason, last year, peppers were my most finicky seedlings.  Only about half grew at all, so I don't pin too many hopes on these.  But, this mid-western girl really likes a good pepper!
We also planted a few rows of frost hardy greens and lettuce and a test row of peas.  I know it is really early, in this part of the country anyway, to be hoping for any germination, but I had plenty of seeds, so I wasn't worried about the waste if nothing happens.  Nothing is spouting yet, but it appears some critter walked through my neat rows, so I may have patchy results if anything.
I've also felt progress on my purging and spending.  As much as I loved soaking up those rare rays of early Spring sun, I needed a few rainy days to get my house under control  I went through the girl's rooms and loaded up several boxes for our soon-to-be garage sale.  The only problem now is finding a path through the messy attic to store them until garage sale season.  My new goal of keeping the spending to only things I cannot make has also gone fairly well.  Am I seeing an increase in my crafty productivity?  I wish, but no.  It has kept my from buying several things I would have otherwise purchased.  Speaking of which...does anyone know how to sew a fitted sheet for a king size bed?  My only sheet set is ripped and we need a new one!

No comments:

Post a Comment