Sunday, March 21, 2010

What's in the bag?

I get a lot of comments, mostly amusing, about the huge bag of food that I bring with me to work each shift.  I work evenings, starting at 3pm and ending after 3am.  I eat at least one large meal (dinner) and usually at least 2 snacks while I'm at work.  But, because of my taste experiences in fresh, local, seasonal foods, I just can't bring myself to get a slice of greasy, stale pizza or something hot and processed off the food line downstairs.  The salad bar used to be an option, but that was before I became addicted to Olivia's Herb Salad mix, which is a nice alternative to my homegrown salads in spring-fall.  I just can't settle for plain romaine with pale tomatoes and bottled dressing anymore.
I always bring a huge salad to work (in the salad keeper I got Jeremy for Christmas last year!) with lots of fresh greens, whatever else in season (ranging from carrots and onion in the winter, carrots and radishes in the spring, juicy heirloom cherry tomatoes in summer, and cooked and cooled winter squash in fall).  I always mix up a small bit of vinegar and a good EVOO with a pinch of fresh garlic and add it to my dressing keeper.  I top this with a small handfull of cheese (parmesan, blue, or feta is typical) and walnuts for crunch.  YUM!  I pair this with a side of something easily transported.  Leftovers or some fresh pasta is easiest most nights.  
For snacks, here are my current favorites...
A handful of homemade trail mix in a baggie.  Currently, this is dark chocolate covered dried cherries with raw almonds.  Last winter, I had a mix of dark chocolate chips, roasted almonds, pretzel twists, and cranberries.  Summer might find me toting around a bag of dried mixed fruit.  Last fall I found the most delicious maple coated peanuts.  My job sometimes requires me to "float" off my unit to another floor, and this snack can be tossed in my pocket for a quick pick-me-up.
For my midnight snack, I have one of the many natural flavors of Maple Hill Dairy yogurt.  This is yogurt made from raw milk with a delicious cream top that is made at a local dairy.  I mix this with a packet of frozen mixed berries (next year this will be local and preserved) and some homemade granola from the local Rosemont Inn.  Heaven in a cup!
Of course, since I sleep right through breakfast, I usually eat a little snack an hour or so before I head home.  Right now, the apples from Twin Orchards are nearing their end, so I am enjoying them while I can.  My favorite way to eat them is cored and sliced and dipped in the all natural peanut butter that I also found there. Of course, these apples are also delicious as is, which is my daughter Kira's favorite way to eat them.
This can't be it, though, for what if I get thirsty?  I keep a reusable water bottle in my bag and also a packet or two of green tea with a small jar of local honey.
Now that you've seen my list of foods, you can imagine the size of the bag I have to use to carry them in!  Luckily, hardly any of it needs refrigeration (save the yogurt and main dish), so I just plop my big-ol bag right on the table after I stash the cool things in the fridge.
I get lots of glances at my food...but I must admit that I far prefer having to lug around my bag of deliciousness to eating one of those small, frozen meals.
This is not to say that I won't order out when my coworkers want a splurge now and then.  I love a big slice of pizza as much as the next gal.  But I'll be eating it with my gorgeous, nutrient filled salad and while sipping a nice glass of tea with honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment