Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sticking to the plan

As luck would have it, once I got up the motivation to start up my blog, I hit a huge stretch of time at work and haven't had any time to write.  I have kept up my goals, though, and have been eating well and shopping very little.  It is an interesting theory, indeed, to restrain myself from buying anything I can make.  Knowing my limited time, and the fact that gardening season is getting closer, I have been able to keep from buying a lot of things that I would have just thrown into my cart without a second thought before...the playdough that Kira requested was cooked on our stove and is much better than store bought (although a second batch will be made tomorrow to try and improve our colors).  I steered myself away from any clothing purchases except to buy a cute pair of fun green and purple striped socks for the girls to wear on St Patrick's Day.  I will learn to knit socks soon, I decided, but having watched a how-to-video on my knitting iphone app (yes, there really is such a thing!) I know it will be a challenging new skill.  My only other purchases in the past two weeks have been a pair of ballet shoes for Kira (I mean, I really don't think I am going to be making shoes!), Easter shoes for both girls, and one book for my nook iphone reader. 
What have I learned to do?  I have made my own mocha lattes every day, instead of making my usual harried trip into the bookstore (where our only local starbucks is).  I have been baking bread like crazy...and at the rate it disappears, I'll be baking twice a week.  I have checked out more books from the library on how to make, cook, sew, etc...And I've become a playdough making expert. 
I've also decided that this would be a whole lot easier if I had nothing else to do but create!  But, I'm excited that I haven't slipped up on my plan and am hoping that the rest of the month goes smoothly, too.
And for those who have requested it...what are we eating in the first week of March?  Breakfasts have mostly been a thick slice of my homemade bread spread with real butter and local fruit jam or honey...sometimes yogurt from Maple Hill Creamery with a little fruit.  I managed to throw together a wonderful harvest lasagna from Keith Snow's Harvest Eating Cookbook...filled with sweet potato slices, chopped kale left over from last fall's trip to Old Path Farms, leeks, local garlic, Gruyere cheese from another local dairy, and some fresh Mozzarella...YUM!  Tonight we had a local squash (my last one in storage from fall farmer's markets) with carmelized onions, sage, and portobello mushrooms, tossed with farfalle and a light cream and wine sauce.  Tonight's pasta I served with organic rotisserie chicken, which was a splurge.  But, I threw the leftover chicken in a pot with the water I boiled tonight's veggies in.  After the stock was made, I added turnips, more squash, carrots, onions, leftover sweet potatoes from last night, and apples for a rich late spring soup for tomorrow.  Almost by accident, I am eating much less meat, but am much more satisfied with my food than I have ever been before.  I'll never be a vegetarian, but I have found that treating my meat as an addition to my dishes, rather than creating a dish around meat makes for much more creative meals.
I'll be sharing my bread recipe soon for those who are interested...

1 comment: