Friday, March 19, 2010

sorting out the seeds...

My big task of the day was to lay out and organize my big bag of seeds for this growing season.  Lest any of you think I am not really that obsessed with my garden, check out the spread...although some of these packets are left from last year, most are new.  If you've never understood the reason for growing from seed...I'll explain.

Many of my varieties just can't be found in the local plants.  Like pandora striped rose eggplant, pineapple tomato, and amarillo and dragon carrots.  And one of my seed packets is an heirloom passed from a friend's grandmother to her and saved from year to year!  Not all these seeds will make it into my garden.  Some of the seeds from last year may not germinate, and some of them were not tasty enough to make the cut.  But, a great many of these will turn into food for me and my family to enjoy for the next year!  I will be learning to freeze, can, and dry...and I've already made my plans for succession planting to enjoy a long season of enjoyment instead of a one shot stop in the harvest. 
Of course, with this many seeds, I couldn't just take a blind approach.  Most of this winter, I spent my free time (if I had any!) planning and making a calendar for all of this.  I also had to order a few more seed starting cells and have plans for one more light in the basement.  I have yet to actually CLEAN the basement, though (my least favorite chore). 
The biggest change this year from years past is that due to the extensive list of edible foods, I will not be purchasing ANY flowers.  In my hanging baskets?  Tom Thumb peas and Sprite tomatoes.  In my window box?  Lettuce.  In all those pots in the garage?  Herbs.  I WILL be growing sunflowers (for the interest and the seeds) and marigolds to keep the bugs away!  
Want to know what some of the above seeds are?  Here is a brief list (actual varieties too numerous to type in a daily blog!):
4 eggplants
6 sweet peppers
4 hot peppers
27 tomato varieties (not all will be grown, and some are only for pots!)
3 melons
7 summer squash (zucchini, yellow, and patty pan)
5 winter squash
3 pumpkins
1 gourd
7 cucumbers
2 cauliflower
1 broccoli blend
2 beets (including the oldest known variety dating back 1000 years!)
1 turnip
2 onions
10 carrots (a carrot is NOT just a carrot!)
1 parsnip
1 kohlrabi
2 brussel sprouts
6 peas (sugar and shelling)
2 spinach
19 lettuce (we eat a LOT of salad!!!)
1 rainbow chard
1 endive
1 mizuna asian green
1 kale
1 fennel
1 sunflower
4 radishes
3 corn (for sweet eating and popping)
8 beans (pole, green, purple, and wax!)
14 herbs

And I'm still waiting on a flowering potato shipment to arrive and will be ordering a chocolate mint plant closer to planting time!!!
And if any of you are interested in trying some of the more unusual varieties that I grow, let me know!  I am always happy to split a packet of seeds.  I already have two friends who share with me.  Helps to share the cost and prevents any seeds from going unplanted!  Just let me know!  Happy planting!

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, chocolate mint. Robert has a friend that makes homemade jam. My absolute favorite is his strawberry chocolate mint. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a bit obsessed with saving our seeds from year to year, though Finn's arrival took us away from proper seed saving last season. How about Seed Savers, are you a member? Enjoy learning to can, freeze & dry. Seeing that you're just down the road, we will have to visit each others gardens :) Jess

    ReplyDelete